Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Power of Shyness", Time Magazine 2/6/2012

In a front page article on shyness, author Bryan Walsh describes the difference between introverts and extroverts, and the unrecognized value of introverts in the workplace and as corporate leaders.

You may find this article gives you some valuable insight into yourself.

My assertion is that an introvert can learn to enjoy more social gatherings. There's nothing wrong with the desire for solitude, to enjoy solitary activities. But I think it's even more enjoyable when it's not a default choice. If it's so uncomfortable and punishing to be around people, and such a relief to be alone, one defaults toward solitude. Why go through all that punishment for such little reward?

Learning the skills- and I had to develop a map when I was teaching classes on shyness because I wasn't any better than anyone else- reduced anxiety and self-consciousness. As we tried the "maps", we learned there were underlying structures, so it didn't seem like everyone else knew the rules of the road except us. There were social frameworks that helped one relax and have a little fun among the human species.

That made solitude even more enjoyable because one had a choice to be alone, not an anxiety decision, because of the stress in going to social gatherings.

No comments:

WHY ARE YOU SO QUIET?


Most of the time we are passive participants;
watchers and listeners of our computers, our televisions, cell-phones, movie theaters.

Then with little practice we are supposed to talk and express ourselves articulately on job interviews, meeting new people at work, starting to date, selling our business plans.

These are the most intimidating situations to begin with, when we're out of practice, or never had any in the first place and where we feel we're being scrutinized.

This is my area of expertise; I merge the structure of the speech communication with anxiety reducing methods.

I have a BA in Sociology, and taught for 10 years in a behavioral/cognitive clinic at the University of Washington, where I coached people on how to make changes in communication skills and health habits.This was a pioneering clinic and I represented the clinic through the UW Speakers Bureau on radio and television shows, and did many corporate workshops.

Public speaking totally intimidated me, and I had no experience. I had accidentally developed a career in the very field I hated; public speaking.

No matter how discouraged you are, I can help you.



Joan6466@aol.com
Tel. No. 360 697 6168
Skype: joan.walz