Wednesday, October 26, 2016

SOCIAL MEDIA AND THE ILLUSION OF HAVING FRIENDS

An excellent program aired on Dr. Oz in September, 2016 that explored the many contacts we have during the day with texting, Facebook, emails, etc. We feel that we are connected, but it does not correlate with reduced loneliness. That's the surprise- the constant social media interactions gives the illusion of being connected- we see the external signs- but our feeling component indicates that we are lonely.  It doesn't jive with what we perceive as having lots of friends thru social media. But trust the feeling component, and since we are social beings, loneliness impacts our health. So, when you think- I don't have the time-even a small conversation on the phone is a step to better health. I think that for people who have no friends, social media is a good first step in reaching out, connecting on common causes, expressing a like, elaboration on what someone says- these are all great first steps if you're isolated. Take it to the next step- get together at a meeting, a lunch, a cup of coffee. It's hard in the beginning, but I'll show you how to reward yourself for taking these health-giving steps.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mehmet-oz/the-new-loneliness_b_11966516.html

No comments:

WHY ARE YOU SO QUIET?


Most of the time we are passive participants;
watchers and listeners of our computers, our televisions, cell-phones, movie theaters.

Then with little practice we are supposed to talk and express ourselves articulately on job interviews, meeting new people at work, starting to date, selling our business plans.

These are the most intimidating situations to begin with, when we're out of practice, or never had any in the first place and where we feel we're being scrutinized.

This is my area of expertise; I merge the structure of the speech communication with anxiety reducing methods.

I have a BA in Sociology, and taught for 10 years in a behavioral/cognitive clinic at the University of Washington, where I coached people on how to make changes in communication skills and health habits.This was a pioneering clinic and I represented the clinic through the UW Speakers Bureau on radio and television shows, and did many corporate workshops.

Public speaking totally intimidated me, and I had no experience. I had accidentally developed a career in the very field I hated; public speaking.

No matter how discouraged you are, I can help you.



Joan6466@aol.com
Tel. No. 360 697 6168
Skype: joan.walz